Where Lippi's Artwork is Displayed
You can find some of Lippi's artwork at the following museums and churches. Many of his commissions were frescoes done for the walls of churches in Italy:
- Uffizi Gallery, Florence
- Filippo Strozzi Chapel, Santa Maria Novella church, Florence
- Brancacci Chapel, Santa Maria del Carmine church, Florence
- Badia Fiorentina church, Florence
- Santa Maria del Santo Spirito Basilica, Florence
- Carafa Chapel, Santa Maria sopra Minerva Basilica, Rome
- Civic Museum, Prato, Italy
- Cathedral, Spoleto, Italy
- San Domenico Basilica, Bologna, Italy
- National Gallery, Washington DC
Trivia About Filippo Lippi:
- When Filippino Lippi died in Florence, he was so much loved by the citizens there, that they were said to have closed all their shops on the day that he was buried.
- In his work Adoration of the Magi, Lippi includes three members of the Medici family in the painting -- Pierfrancesco de' Medici and his two sons, Giovanni and Lorenzo.
- In Apparition of the Virgin to St. Bernard, the praying man in the lower right-hand corner is said to be Piero del Pugliese, the man who commissioned the painting for his father's chapel.